dhcp fails with big dhcpd.leases

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 18:09:34 UTC 2010

Sten Carlsen wrote:

>You showed that your range also had 172.16.8.0 in it, that is valid
>but may cause some clients to behave "funny".

I'd missed that.

>subnet 172.16.0.0 netmask 255.252.0.0 {
>    authoritative;
>    option subnet-mask   255.252.0.0;
>    option routers 172.16.0.1;
>    option domain-name "moben";
>    option domain-name-servers 10.2.0.1;
>    option interface-mtu 1450;
>    default-lease-time 72000;
>    max-lease-time 72000;
>    range 172.16.8.0  172.19.255.254;

That range is over a quarter of a million addresses. Does the server
still have issues with very large ranges ? I vaguely recall there
used to be issues with memory usage and startup times.

It does sound a rather excessive number of addresses - even for a
public access point.

--
Simon Hobson