DHCP Redundancy

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 07:48:48 UTC 2010

Top posting fixed !

Matt Jenkins wrote:
>Would it be possible to have a distributed NFS directory and have
>many dhcp daemons read the same leases and configuration files? Does
>the DHCP Server re-read the leases file when it starts up so it
>knows about all existing leases?

FYI the ISC server reads the leases file exactly once - when it
starts up. After that it is write only and the primary database is
held in-memory.

Matt Jenkins wrote:
>This is for a wireless ISP network built in a remote area where most
>of the systems are on solar power. It will not be unheard of for any
>given site to lose power for days or more. I need to be able to have
>dhcp servers at each location that all share the same leases
>information....

A few questions about that :

1) Are they all on the same subnet ?
2) If the site is down, does it matter if clients trying to connect
to it can't get a lease ?
3) Does your setup require the client to get the same lease wherever they are ?
4) If the latter, then can you use static assignments (eg client MAC
address) to assign addresses ?

--
Simon Hobson