Upgrade from 3.1.0 to 4.1.1

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Feb 22 06:10:53 UTC 2010

Abu Abdulla alhanbali wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM,  <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:
>>> where can i found info on how to compile with USE_SOCKETS and how can
>>> i use this feature. i only need to run multiple DHCP instances on
>>> different ports using the same IP
>> Here:
>>
>> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2009-August/009667.html
>>
>> is the recipe I used to compile with USE_SOCKETS on FreeBSD. Note:
>>
>> - Step 3 in that recipe is no longer needed with 4.1.1 release version.
>>
>> - If your environment doesn't use BPF (e.g. Linux, Solaris) then you
>> don't need the USE_BPF_HWADDR define.
>
> Thanks. but it includes patching the code which I'm afraid to do it
> especially with other versions. I'm not familiar with coding but it
> might be better to have it in the main code. running multiple
> instances on different ports is a common feature for many servers. it
> will add a value to have it by default without patching.

dhcpd is kind of special in that normally uses a raw socket to send and
receive data. You can only have one of these for a given interface and
port, so it prevents from running multiple versions of the server on the
same interface.

The code modifications referred to affect the ip address that the
particular instance binds to. You can use the local-address statement to
set it from dhcpd.conf

If you don't want to edit the include file you can use standard autoconf
behaviour and use the variable CFLAGS to define the macro like this:

CFLAGS='-O -DUSE_SOCKETS' ./configure ...

-glenn