Upgrade from 3.1.0 to 4.1.1

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 08:02:25 UTC 2010

Abu Abdulla alhanbali wrote:
>this is for shared network for the same DHCP instance. i'm trying from
>another DHCP

You cannot have two instances of a DHCP server on the same physical
interface. Since the DCHP service uses broadcasts with no destination
IP address, there is absolutely no way to differentiate which
instance any inbound packet should go to.

That means you'll need a second NIC for the second DHCP instance.

And you'd still need to declare the shared subnet on BOTH servers -
if you don't then each one with NACK requests for addresses assigned
by the other. You don't have to have a range declared in a subnet if
you don't want to issues leases in it.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...