ddns: how to set a CNAME entry?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 10:47:02 UTC 2010

Harald Dunkel wrote:

>I have to generate virtual hosts on the fly by cloning and
>configuring a template host. The virtual hosts have to get
>an "official name" like

>and a name that is easy to type, like
>
>	vhost###
>
>Both names should be set in ddns on request of the dhcp
>daemon when the virtual host sends a DHCP request.
>
>The appropriate dhcp configuration is generated by the
>software creating the clone. Currently each host gets a
>config record like
>
>host dep1-build-sol10u6-042 {
>	hardware ethernet 00:16:36:61:74:c4;
>	ddns-hostname "dep1-build-sol10u6-042";
>	option host-name "dep1-build-sol10u6-042";
>}
>subclass "virtual-host" 1:00:16:36:61:74:c4;
>
>The IP address is taken from an address range, of course.
>
>How do I get the "vhost042" in?

Off the shelf, you can't do it.

Turning it around, could you make your provisioning package add the
CNAMEs to DNS and leave DHCP to add the A record ?

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...