unknown value in the dhcp log

Brock, Anthony - NET Anthony.Brock at oregonstate.edu
Fri Jul 9 16:11:33 UTC 2010

So is it safe to say that this value will not be the same for the same pool of a subnet between the two members servers of a failover pair?

Given that this is the only way to identify multiple pools within a subnet, would it be reasonable to request that this be changed to something that would be consistent between a failover pair (i.e., first address in the first 'range' statement)? This could even maintain compatibility with current log parsers if the address were written in hexadecimal format (i.e., 137.23.14.92 could be printed as 89170e5c).

I realize that this would break anything that actually uses the existing value in a meaningful way. However, I'm having trouble imagining anything that would actually benefit from the current value.

Tony