unknown value in the dhcp log

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Fri Jul 9 23:20:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 09:11:33AM -0700, Brock, Anthony - NET wrote:
> So is it safe to say that this value will not be the same for the same
> pool of a subnet between the two members servers of a failover pair?

It isn't guaranteed.  If they're very similar iron and OS versions,
and both servers were started with identical configurations, then it's
possible they might match up but it isn't guaranteed.

> I realize that this would break anything that actually uses the existing
> value in a meaningful way. However, I'm having trouble imagining anything
> that would actually benefit from the current value.

I can't imagine that breaking anything, and I hadn't considered
rendering a pool address in hex.  It's worth dhcp-suggest@'ing.

Simon Hobson wrote:
| David W. Hankins wrote:
|
| > Don't shoot the messenger; it was like that when I got here.  If I
| > had it do to over, I would use any random dynamic address from the
| > pool as a unique identifier for the pool, like the first address in
| > the first 'range' statement.
|
| Or allow an admin entered pool identifier to be used ?

I think if we gave the pools a name field, it could be optionally
supplied in config syntax, yes.