ddns: how to set a CNAME entry?

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.de
Mon Mar 1 08:55:25 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

On 02/26/10 13:48, Brian Raaen wrote:
> On Friday 26 February 2010, Simon Hobson wrote:
>>
>> Turning it around, could you make your provisioning package add the
>> CNAMEs to DNS and leave DHCP to add the A record ?
>>

> Have you considered using the new execute command to update the cname at the same time the a record is created.  I don't know if it would work, but if I was trying to
> accomplish what you are doing(creating 2 dns records at the same time) I'd give it a try.
>
> Relevant man page snippet from dhcp-eval attached below.

[snip]

I will try it, of course, but actually it is not just about adding
the CNAMEs. They should be removed when the lease expires, too.

Since ddns supports more than just setting A records, maybe
it would be possible to extend dhcpd.conf to make better use
of these features? The ddns-hostname option could accept more
than just a single hostname, e.g.:

host dep1-build-sol10u6-042 {
	hardware ethernet 00:16:36:61:74:c4;
	ddns-hostname "dep1-build-sol10u6-042 CNAME vhost042";
	option host-name "dep1-build-sol10u6-042";
}
subclass "virtual-host" 1:00:16:36:61:74:c4;

Just a suggestion, of course. Many thanx

Harri