VLAN class statement

Everitt, Andrew C ace at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 17:43:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

This is the first time I have posted to this list and I hope you can help.

I have an ISC DHCP server with 2 address ranges on it; at the moment one range is reserved for VoIP phones and one for PC's.  To ensure the phones and PC's use the right range I have setup a class for each and manually populated them.

In the current setup the phone class definition statement for capturing MAC's as follows.

class "VoIP" {
    match (substring (hardware, 1, 6));
}

Then for every phone we have a subclass & host definition statement.
E.G. for MAC AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:F1

subclass "VoIP" AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:F1; # VoIP phone
host voippEEF1 { hardware ethernet AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:F1; }

Finally there is an "allow members of VoIP" statement in the phone IP range section.
This works well but adding another 10 or 20 phones is tedious, so I would like to automate the class population for the phones.

We have a Cisco network that's configured to place the Cisco phones into vlan 2.  When the phones send out a DHCP request the server logs reflect the fact its come from vlan 2.  I would like to use the fact that all phones are on vlan 2 to populate the phone (VoIP) class.

After some research I thought that option code 191 is used by the DHCP server for vlan's.  So I set the following class statement up.

option voip-cisco-phone code 191 = text;
class "VoIP-2" {
         match if option voip-cisco-phone = "vlan2";
       }

and added "allow members of VoIP-2" to the phone's range statement.  Unfortunately it has not worked.  At first I thought the problem lay in the match result (vlan2), but after trying multiple different match results, I'm not so sure.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Everitt