Option 43 is not being send after moving to a specific scope

W.J.M. Nelis nelis at nlr.nl
Tue May 25 09:18:29 UTC 2010

Hello,

> There is two things that need looking at, firstly when concatenating
> option numbers to the dhcp-parameter-request-list you need to specify
> them in hex, not decimal. So that is happily adding option number 0x43
> (67) and 0x60 (96) to the list. If this were to be mentioned in the
> documentation it would be the dhcp-eval man page...

It can be found in the FAQ. I was wondering why it worked for so long.
It turns out that the clients ask for those options themselves.

> The way this is frequently done is to define PXE options is using a
> specific PXE class. Searching the archives should show a few examples of
> this I think.
It has taken some time for tests, but I finally found why option 43 was
*not* send in the more specific class scope. In the configuration there
was also a line to define the layout of option 43 for an Aastra IP
telephone. That line in question was:
option AastraIpPhoneOpt43 code 43 = string ;
This option definition is not yet used. Once the option definition was
removed, option 43 was send to the PXE client. I do not know why it has
this negative impact. Can someone shed some light on this issue?

Regards,
Wim Nelis.