getting multiple domain-name dns request to work with microsoft windows xp dhcp clients

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Thu May 27 19:31:21 UTC 2010

Hello everybody,

I have configured a nice dynamic dns with dhcpd system with bind9 and
dhcp3-server on debian gnu/linux, and it seemed to be working very
well, until I attached a Microsoft windows xp dhcp clients and the dns
queries where not the same as those of the linux clients.

option domain-name "dynamic.powercraft.nl static.powercraft.nl";

I know Microsoft DNS can work, because if I manually set the DNS
servers it works, but manually setting every client is not workable
solution for me.

When debugging the bind9 dns request I can what goes wrong in the request:

27-May-2010 00:25:45.159 queries: info: client 192.168.30.100#1314:
query: jelle-laptop.dynamic.powercraft.nl\032static.powercraft.nl IN A +

It seems the domain-name set by windows is received as one server with
spaces in it names instead of receiving two domain-names the client
should be using.

I tried some stuff I found at:
http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/dhcp-options.5.html

I can't get it to work. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,

Jelle de Jong