getting multiple domain-name dns request to work with microsoft windows xp dhcp clients

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri May 28 01:42:35 UTC 2010

Hi Jelle

That's an invalid config that just happens to work for the Linux client
and was a common workaround before there was a revision to the RFC to
add a feature for setting the search list. The correct definition for
option domain-name is a single domain. In this case the MS client is
behaving correctly.

I am assuming you wish to set the search path for dns queries. The way
to do this is to use

      option domain-search domain-list;

        The domain-search option  specifies  a  'search  list'  of
        Domain  Names  to  be  used  by  the client to locate not-
        fully-qualified domain names.  The difference between this
        option  and historic use of the domain-name option for the
        same ends is  that  this  option  is  encoded  in  RFC1035
        compressed labels on the wire.  For example:

          option domain-search "example.com", "sales.example.com",
                               "eng.example.com";

regards,
-glenn