[ISC DHCPv6 on Freebsd] Decline Message

frank cui frankcui24 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 03:31:00 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm doing a interoperation test about DHCPv6, and a bit confused on a test
case about the DECLINE message.
Hope Experienced Users can help me solve this problem.

Here is the details information:

Server(RHEL6)

--------------------------------------------(2000::/64)
           |                                   |
           |                                   |
Client(FREEBSD8.1)   Reference Host(FREEBSD8.1)

Software Version:
Server:dhcp-4.1.1-11.P1
Client:dhcp-4.1.1-P1

I manually assign the address 2000::5 to the Reference Host.
And i make the Server only has the pool address 2000::5.

After i start the Server and Client DHCP daemon, the Client gets the address
2000::5 and recognizes the address assigned by the server is duplicated, but
it doesn't really generate the DECLINE message.
"inet6 2000::5 prefixlen 64 duplicated"(output from ifconfig command on the
client)

And there is also a message on the console:
"DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address 2000::5: NS in/out=0/1, NA in=1
DAD complete for 2000::5 - duplicate found
manual intervention required
nd6_dad_timer:called with duplicated address 2000::5"

What do i further need to do to make the client generate the DECLINE
message? Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Frank