DHCP 4.2.0-P1 issue

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Nov 3 21:51:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 01:34:11AM +0100, Matej Serc wrote:
> I tried to install 4.2.0-P1 from source on a FreeBSD 7.2 system and when
> using the same configuration and lease file as they were in 3.0.x, I got the
> message "Listening on" and also when I did sockstat I saw that it was
> listening. Although there is much traffic on the server, there were
> absolutely no messages coming on or out. Although the process was running,
> it was eating a lot of CPU, CPU time for it was increasing rapidly - I
> haven't seen that in 3.0.x and not in current 3.1.2 (which I installed
> later).

We've had some sporadic reports of CPU spikes on 4.2.0, but have not
been able to isolate it.

4.2.0 adopted the BIND 9 libisc and libdns libraries in order to
use libdns' asynchronous DDNS methods.  This is a much bigger change
than it might seem from the outside; the most basic, core parts of the
software was literally replaced, so we're having some growing pains
like these.

> After changing nothing (no changed routes, firewall rules etc.), just
> installed 3.1.2 with the same config and the lease file as I got from 3.0.x,
> things started working and are working as they should.
>
> My primary reason for trying to upgrade 3.0.x was because after about a year
> of successful operation we got Core Dumped few days ago. Since I want to
> eliminate any software reasons for failure I am first trying to upgrade.

Because 4.2.0 has come out a little more experimental in quality than
we had anticipated, my current recommendation for the go-to version is
4.1.2.  I would recommend syncing up to that while it has your
attention. :)