Assigning leases based on option 82

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Wed Nov 24 14:56:02 UTC 2010

> That's not the same feature.
>
> There was talk of having a config option that would change the way the
> primary key was derived for the leases file. At the moment it's
> effectively hardcoded to pick_first_value(client_id,hardware).
>
> By changing this to the option 82 circuit ID, the operation of the
> server would change from matching on client_id (if supplied) or more
> normally hardware (MAC address) to matching on circuit_id.
> This would achieve what most people are wanting from the server -
> merely that it serves up addresses to clients, but based on circuit_id
> rather than MAC address.

remote-id would be the more useful primary key for me.  Having not even
bothered to open the source code....does anyone know how big of a deal
it would be to make this configurable?

Any existing leases would have to be tossed out the window on making the
change, but I would do it anyway if the option was there.