DHCP Redundancy

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Nov 28 05:23:29 UTC 2010

On 11/28/10 05:20, Dan Letkeman wrote:
> Do you know if there is any documentation for running them in failover mode?
>
> If I run them in a non-overlapping state, is there any way I can set
> them up so that the first one always answers first, and the second one
> always answers second?  Sort of there, but only if needed.  This way
> its there for the brief time needed to fix the first one, and the
> range doesn't need to be large on the second one.  And my monitoring
> system will notify me when the first dhcp server is not responding.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan.

The dhcpd.conf man page has a fairly large section with example on failover.

The recommended way is to maintain identical dhcpd.conf files on both
systems, and include a unique file on each server that contains the
failover peer declarations, which are the only part that differs. (See
the 'include "filename";' declaration).

All the subnet definitions and host declarations go in the common file.
Update on one system, the copy it unchanged to the second server. That
way you know the configs are the same on both sides.

-glenn
--
Glenn Satchell                            |  Miss 9: What do you
Uniq Advances Pty Ltd, Sydney Australia   |  do at work Dad?