dhcpd pid exists but process not running

Ausmus, Matt mausmus at chapman.edu
Fri Sep 3 16:26:42 UTC 2010

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the response.  Yeah, I know it's old but it's what's native
to CentOS/RHEL.  What I was really looking for and didn't relay at all
was an actual issue that was known giving me a more solid justification
to management to build a custom install of dhcpd besides a generic "it's
old & the new ones have bug fixes and cool new features".  This problem
is an issue but only pops up periodically and our management and
failover mechanism mitigate the issue for the most part.  Management
gets squeamish about installing outside packages mainly because they
just don't understand it which means putting together solid, simple
justifications for moving outside the distribution on production boxes.
The bad (and good) is that 3.0.5 is very solid except for quirks like
this.

I'll put on the thinking cap and get creative for the proposal  ;-)

Thank you again.
Matt Ausmus
Network Administrator
Chapman University
635 West Palm Street
Orange, CA  92868
(714)628-2738
mausmus at chapman.edu

"Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man."
            -Bucy's Law