Vendor options not being sent

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Sep 15 13:33:25 UTC 2010

On 09/15/10 22:52, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hello Glenn,
>
> 15.09.2010 14:00, Glenn Satchell wrote:
>> Hi Arno
>>
>> I think what is missing is the definitions of the SUNW space variables.
>
> Well, I left those out of the mail to keep things more concise... they
> are defined in global scope, and look astonishingly similar to yours -
> I guess must people copy&paste from the same sources ;-)

ok, wasn't sure about that. I am sure they do come from the same place.

>> These must be defined in the global scope to specify what the type
>> each of the SUNW.things are. This ensures they are encoded in the
>> proper format (string, number, ip-address and so on. Then in an
>> appropriate scope you fill in the value.
>>
>> Here is what I use in my configuration for booting and jumpstarting
>> Sun SParc boxes. All the jumpstart bits are defined in the class and
>> nothing special is needed in the subnet definition.
>>
>> # Jumpstart specific stuff
>> option space SUNW code width 1 length width 1 hash size 11;
>
> This one I'm probably missing, though... I'll verify and report back.
> Thanks for spotting this!

Depending on the dhcpd version this may, or may not be relevant. I
forget the version where this came in...

The other possibility is that the size of the options are too big to fit
in the remaining space in dhcpd packet. I remember reading about
trimming path lengths to minimise the size. The setting is option
dhcp-max-message-size <size>, although the examples I gave are from my
working config, so those sizes are ok.

-glenn