removing global options from local scopes

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 21:42:38 UTC 2010

hi,

sorry for the dumb question...and I do feel dumb right now. maybe
its just too obvious, or maybe it cannot be done, but heres the
right list..and heres the question.

my configuration has several global options that all subnets hand
out to clients. this is common and removes the need for specifying
values locally eg

option domain-name "our.net";
option netbios-name-servers 192.168.0.10, 172.16.34.2;
option netbios-node-type 2;

now, we are looking at stopping those WINS values for particular
subnets....

now, is it really the case that to do this, we must put those
netbios-* entries into every single subnet definition (local scope)
- other than the ones we dont want it in - rather than global definition?

or can we clear/negate those values locally?  (we dont HAVE any alternative
values for those options so its not a case of overriding them with eg

option netbios-name-servers 192.168.10.11;
option netbios-node-type 3;
)

if theres a mechanism, then it needs to be supported/official and not just
a kludge that happens to work   (DHCP v4.1 and up in use here) - ie
needs to work after a minor upgrade etc  :-)

alan