dhcp relay (4.2)

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 20:36:18 UTC 2010

Michael Richardson wrote:
>I'm using dhcp relay on a linux router to help me test a configuration
>to be deployed elsewhere, with a Brocade router as the relay.
>
>What I discovered is that I had to list the interface on which the DHCP
>server was as well as the interface on which I wanted to relay, i.e: I
>have to do:
>      dhcrelay -d -4 -i eth1 -i eth0 -a 10.10.5.118
>
>to relay from eth1 to a dhcp server at 10.10.5.118 on eth0.

That's a known limitation and the result of design decisions made a
long time ago. I rather suspect that changes are on the wish list,
but IPv6 development will be taking priority at the moment.

it also affects people wanting to run it on routers connected with
(eg) PPP links over WAN lines - where it doesn't work because certain
assumed facilities (broadcasts I think) aren't present.
--
Simon Hobson