specs for fast DHCP servers?

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 21:00:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

> So, what should we buy to avoid performance bottlenecks?  I have been
> searching through the list archive a bit and it sounds like disk I/O is a
> big factor.  SSD disk for leases and log files?  Since dhcpd is single-

SSD for lease file? i wouldnt. too many write cycles.

just some decent fast harddrives for the logs....and use RAMDISK for the leases
file - with a snapshot to disk every few minutes (then copy from disk
to RAMDISK during startup of system)

regarding DHCP being single thread... you could always slice up the config
to different configs and run multiple DHCP processes for each range listening
to different IP addresses (different NICs?) - this would make use of multicore
processors too

alan