specs for fast DHCP servers?

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 7 16:58:01 UTC 2011

> What would your ultimate DHCP server look like?

We have a Dell R410 with a quad-core 2.6Ghz, 3GB memory.
15k SAS drives in a RAID-10 config.

We issue over a million leases a day.  Our only perf
issue is that because we are a "NetReg" shop, we restart
dhcpd a LOT, so startup time (~8 seconds for us) is an
issue.

HtH,
John

John Hascall, john at iastate.edu
Team Lead, NIADS (Network Infrastructure, Authentication & Directory Services)
IT Services, The Iowa State University of Science and Technology