multiple relay agents between a client and an Option 82 server

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Tue Apr 19 12:58:36 UTC 2011

On Apr 19, 2011, at 3:43 AM, Chris Buxton wrote:
> I have to ask, why do you want this? A relay agent typically unicasts requests back to the DHCP server, rather than broadcasting to the next relay.

There are good reasons to use this; in some cases the ability to have two relay agents provide information to the server can save a lot of configuration hassles.   There's a draft being developed in the DHC working group to standardize this behavior; the standard way, however, will not involve sending multiple option 82 fields.

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-relay-encapsulation-00.txt