How to get UUID/GUID of a client

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 13:14:58 UTC 2011

Ben wrote:

>>Client specific - did you have a specific client in mind ?
>>

>Linux, for now.
>I can understand that is different on each distributions, but on a
>PXE Boot its the same for all client, no?

AFAIK all LInux distros, and PXE, send no UID with their requests.

>>Is there something you are trying to achieve ?
>>

>I'm trying to understand why UUID/GUID is not supported at PXE Boot
>by the DHCP.
>
>In fact, I'm afraid about a end user which can change the MAC
>Address and trying to request another IP. Because I use fixed
>address for each client. So I want to use fixed address by the UUID
>which can not be changed.

Actually, changing the UID would be even easier than changing the MAC
address. If the user can change the MAC address, and that's a
problem, then you mights as well pack up and go home ! It's the
nearest thing we have to a unique and unchanging identifier - and as
you've observed, it's not exactly hard to change.

--
Simon Hobson