Quarantine addresses for a configurable time

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 12:27:25 UTC 2011

Flavio Poletti wrote:

>For reasons that are out of our control, the association between the
>user and the IP address is cached for some time T in some platforms.
>Hence, we need to quarantine Alice's IP Address for at least T, in
>order to avoid identity mismatches, even if this might mean that other
>users are prevented from accessing the network for a limited time.

Nice !

>Another scenario could be that for lawful reasons it should be
>guaranteed that there are periods of "separation" in the usage of an
>IP address by different users, which means that released addresses
>should be quarantined.

If your clocks are accurate then that should not be necessary -
though you do need to check time zones
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/23/intercept_commisisoner/

>Thank you for your kind feedback, the proposed solution is interesting
>but I wonder whether it is not better for us to hack the code and add
>support for quarantine periods.

That should work, but I've no idea what's involved.
I'd imagine if you find the function that goes through the leases
finding one to re-use, you'd just need to reject those expired by
less than the quarantine period.

--
Simon Hobson