Quarantine addresses for a configurable time

Flavio Poletti flavio at polettix.it
Thu Feb 17 23:48:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Flavio Poletti wrote:
>> Thank you for your kind feedback, the proposed solution is interesting
>> but I wonder whether it is not better for us to hack the code and add
>> support for quarantine periods.
>
> That should work, but I've no idea what's involved.
> I'd imagine if you find the function that goes through the leases finding
> one to re-use, you'd just need to reject those expired by less than the
> quarantine period.

I was more focused on turning a release into a new lease request for
the duration of the quarantine period T. If Alice does not show up
within T this lease will eventually expire and the IP address will be
released, otherwise it will be reassigned to Alice (I hope...). This
is probably stuff that I should discuss somewhere else. Your solution
is sound as well, anyway.

Cheers,

    Flavio.