Option 82 is missing from Secondry lease file incase of failover

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri May 13 23:18:37 UTC 2011

> >> Can somebody suggest that Why secondary is not having the option 82 information
> >  after lease file synchronization.
> >
> > Known missing feature. See for instance
> >
> >       https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2010-May/011361.html
> >
> > Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no
> >

> What specific operational problem is this causing you?

The lack of option 82 sync between servers in a failover pair,
combined with "stash-agent-options true", results in option 82 info
sometimes getting out of sync for clients that "move". Either

- because the clients themselves actually move to a different place in
the net (e.g. using your laptop at a friend's house connected to the
same ISP, where the CPE is a bridge), or

- the client is reprovisioned to a different subinterface on the BRAS,
and the BRAS supplies option 82 info.

We use the option 82 info quite a lot. Having the info unreliable in
the sense that we need to check it at both servers in a failover pair
takes extra time and resources - and it would be nice if this could be
avoided.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no