DHCPNAK reply using wrong server identifier IP

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri May 27 06:52:49 UTC 2011

Vic Berdin wrote:

>Please check out the Wire Shark screen capture I have
>included on this e-mail. "eth0: 192.168.1.111" and "eth0:0: 192.168.1.110"
>are the same DHCP server box. Notice that DHCPACKs and DHCPOFFERs have the
>correct server identifier as declared in my /etc/dhcpd.conf below. Only
>DHCPNAKs have the wrong server identifier.

But it shouldn't matter. The only purpose of Server Identifier is to
tell the client what IP address to direct it's renewal requests to
later on. Since the function of DHCP-Nak is to tell the client not to
use the address it's requesting AND it may come from any server
servicing the subnet, then the Server Identifier could be anything
and it won't matter.

It is probably an oversight though.

--
Simon Hobson