DHCPD

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 18:07:13 UTC 2011

Peter wrote:

>I install Debian Sqeeze, up-to-date, and then DHCP server, but it
>won't run, since I am using Gnome Desktop Environment.
>
>When I install Debian, the CLI version with no graphics enviroment ,
>DHCP server runs fine
>
>Of course I would love to have Gnome tools avaible and DHCP server
>running at the same time...
>
>any idea of why these two are in conflict?

None whatsoever. However, "won't run" is **NOT** a description of a problem.

The obvious place to start would be, what is logged in various logs
when you try to start the server ? "nothing at all is logged" is an
improvement on no information, what is logged if there is anything
would be better.

How are you trying to start the server ? Via the init script ? Have
you tried manually ?

I have in the past experienced incompatibilities between packages,
and have ended up reverting to a known working config, installing
components/updates one at a time (or initially in batches) until you
are able to narrow down which one is responsible. Though that's going
to be a fair bit of work given the number of packages involved in
installing the desktop environment.

So I'd start with a working box, start the install for Gnome and see
what packages it's going to install - apt-get will prompt you with a
list of packages it's selected and ask if it's OK to continue. Cancel
the install, and I'd start by installing the libraries it's listed -
paying particular attention to any that are marked as being upgraded.

--
Simon Hobson