How to make dhcpd send NAKs instead of silently ignoring DHCPREQUESTS?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 07:00:21 UTC 2012

Andre Albsmeier wrote:

>Yes, sure. I just _thought_ that if I am responsible for, let's
>say, subnet 192.168.10.0/24 I should be able to control this

I think this used to be possible in earlier versions, but we used to
get people coming here on a semi regular basis who were using a
Windows Server* approach and couldn't understand why they were
getting duplicate leases (dynamic leases for addresses "reserved" for
fixed address hosts).

I know at some point a warning was added, so if there were overlaps
then a warning would be spat out during startup, but I wasn't aware
that the more specific warning/error you've seen had been added - but
then I'm no longer a heavy user of this code, and I don't have such
overlaps in my config.

* Don't know if you've used it, but (from memory) on Windows the
admin is very very different. You can't modify a scope once created,
so it's custom to create a scope that covers the entire subnet. You
then "block out" ranges you don't want included, and reserve leases
for specific clients. So more or less the opposite of how you
configure the ISC server.

--
Simon Hobson