dhcpd config options next-server, PXE boot etc.

Vruwink, Timothy Roger vruwink at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 10 16:23:28 UTC 2012

Hi -
What options/config are needed for DHCPD, when certain hosts need to be PXE booted on a Windows SCCM server?
>From what limited information I have, the SCCM server is running Windows deployment services, and will act as the PXE/tftp server for provisioning new Windows installs.

What I am trying to do, is get this to work with our existing dhcpd v3 server.

I do not need/want to install a pxeserver on our dhcpd linux server - I simply want to provide an IP address, and pass them over to the SCCM server (if possible) for PXE booting, and let SCCM take over from there.

Would I simply need to add something like?

host winClient {
        hardware ethernet 01:02:03:04:05:06;
        next-server 127.128.1.2;
        option tftp-server-name "127.128.1.2";
        option bootfile-name "boot\\x86\\wdsnbp.com\000";
}

I currently have this in my dhcpd.conf file:

group {
        # PXE Specific Directives
       option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";
       next-server 127.128.1.2;
       option tftp-server-name "127.128.1.2 ";
       option bootfile-name "boot\\x86\\wdsnbp.com";
}

But the client never actually PXE boots.

Any insights/info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Tim

Tim Vruwink      vruwink at illinois.edu<mailto:vruwink at illinois.edu>