DHCP force renew

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 09:49:12 UTC 2012

Vijayakumar T. T. wrote:

>We have a specific project requirement in which the client system
>needs to register the credentials on a portal. Registration purpose,
>the client will get a quarantined IP (Restricted IP) from DHCP
>server to access the portal. Once user register the credentials, the
>client should get an IP from a different pool, which will have
>complete access to network.
>
>Is there any mechanism by which I can ask a client system to renew
>the DHCP setting ...

There isn't any way to force (from the server) the client to renew. I
believe the 'standard' way to deal with it is to set a short maximum
lease time on the quarantine pool so that the client will naturally
renew in a short space of time. If you combine this with setting
suitable expectations from the user - eg make it well known that
policy is that access will be granted within 5 minutes, not instantly
- then this should work.

--
Simon Hobson