dhclient: lease renewal woes

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:25:45 UTC 2012

Hi Glenn,

> Do other dhcp clients (eg windows) work ok with the dhcp server in the
> cable modem? Can you look at the settings those clients get from the cable
> modem? eg on windows "ipconfig /all"

Nope. The cable modem sits directly between the outside world and my
firewall, which shields/protects my entire set of private networks (all
Linux based, with the odd exception of Windows 7 and Windows XP). In
essence, this is my exit point where all external traffic is redirected.

> I would have thought setting the server-identifier to the private
> ip-address of the cable modem would be the right thing.
Me too, but it doesn't seem to work. I would have thought that since I
have no direct control over dhcp-server-identifier (so the man page
says) the "supersede" statement in my dhclient.conf file was the right
way to go. It didn't work though and from what I remember the cable
modem responded with a broadcast (255.255.255.255) in one of its replies
and that got ignored by dhlcient since this dhcp-server-identifier was
set to a single value (yeah, chicken and egg scenario right there). If I
can't find any viable solution I will repeat that experiment and post
the results here.

>  Is there anything you can configure on the cable modem?

Nope, I'll be breaking my customer agreement with the provider if I
touch anything there. I am not even supposed to look at its logs or
anything else on the admin side of this device.

> Otherwise do you have a system that you could run your own dhcp server on?

That won't help me much because, as I stated above, this is my exit
point to the "world" and without this I won't be connected at all.