Exponential Lease Time

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Wed Aug 29 20:14:16 UTC 2012

>  wrote:
>> I think you still need an upper limit. Whether weeks or months, at
>> some point it needs to be capped.
>
> I would expect that the limit for a wifi hotspot would need to be
> quite a bit lower---it seems to me that you're saving a very small
> amount of DHCP traffic, at the expense of potential address starvation
> if too many devices get long leases before they leave.

Right, but on a wifi hotspot you're probably just as well off with
nothing more complex than a short lease time.  This concept would only
be useful on a network large enough that frequent DHCP renewals are
putting a major load on the network or DHCP server.  For the majority of
us, it wouldn't really be necessary.
Pie hole is now closing....back to work.