expecting data or numeric expression.

Eddie Lania e.lania at elton.nl
Wed Feb 1 10:21:54 UTC 2012

Description of problem: I am trying this in my dhcpd.conf:

# start here
option oe-key     code 159 = string;
option oe-gateway code 160 = ip-address;

on commit {
  if (not static and
      ((config-option server.ddns-updates = null) or
       (config-option server.ddns-updates != 0))) {

      if exists oe-key {
        set ddns-rev-name =
           concat (binary-to-ascii (10, 8, ".",
                                     reverse (1, leased-address)), ".",
                    pick (config-option server.ddns-rev-domainname,
                          "in-addr.arpa."));

       set full-oe-key = option oe-key;

       switch (ns-update (delete (IN, 25, ddns-rev-name, null),
                           add (IN, 25, ddns-rev-name, full-oe-key,
                               lease-time / 2)))
       {
       default:
         unset ddns-rev-name;
         break;
       case NOERROR:
         on release or expiry {
           switch (ns-update (delete (IN, 25, ddns-rev-name, null))) {
           case NOERROR:
             unset ddns-rev-name;
             break;
# stop here

My goal is to clean up dns records for released or expired dhcp leases.

The script above was found on the internet.

The problem is that dhcpd will not start with this code but fails with a
message:

 /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf line 131: expecting data or numeric expression.
        switch (ns-update
                ^
 Configuration file errors encountered -- exiting

I cannot find anything on the net how this should be solved.
Is it a bug?