Fwd: Query on Usage of ISC DHCP Server

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 12:05:42 UTC 2012

Naresh Kumar wrote:
>can you let me know as to what is the significance of declaring the
>empty subnet declaration?

The server will not start without a subnet declaration for any
interface it is listening on. That's just the way it is.

>what i want to achieve is that ,with the relay agent running on 172.18.x.x
>and the below config.what changes do i need to do, so that the
>request from the relay agent gets an ip address?
>
>one option tht i see is changing the 128.0.0.0 subnet above to
>178.0.0.0. and accordingly the netmask and range of the addresses in
>the declaration

>subnet 128.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0 {
>  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.255;

I'm going to suggest you take a step back and describe your network.
What IP address and subnet mask does the DHCP server have ?
What IP addresses and subnet masks does the relay agent have ?
What is the actual subnet mask the clients will be using ?

The reason I ask is that what you are writing suggests you do not
understand IP addressing. The two config lines I've quoted above do
not make sense - I really doubt that you want to be using a 128.0.0.0
subnet mask !

--
Simon Hobson