How to configure dhclient to send option#82

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Feb 2 09:18:51 UTC 2012

> Do you mean I need to also run dhcrelay, on top of dhclient?
> I didn't an option to indicate a conf file for dhcrelay, so how could I
> specify the value I need to send?

I don't have any experience running dhcrelay - all my relay agents are
BRAS type routers. However, the manual page for dhcrelay says this
about option 82:

 -a     Append an agent option field to each request  before  forwarding
        it  to  the server.   Agent option fields in responses sent from
        servers to clients  will  be  stripped  before  forwarding  such
        tain two agent options: the Circuit ID suboption and the  Remote
        ID  suboption.   Currently, the Circuit ID will be the printable
        name of the interface on which the client request was  received.
        The  client supports inclusion of a Remote ID suboption as well,
        but this is not used by default.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no