How to configure dhclient to send option#82

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Thu Feb 2 09:58:29 UTC 2012

On 2 Feb 2012, at 07:51, David Ganor wrote:

> I need to configure a dhclient to send option#82 with a specific sub-option #9 in the DHCPDiscover and in the DHCPRequest messages.

	I believe that that's a need which is architecturally beyond what DHCP
	is intended for.

	Option 82 is intended to be used for adding information to the DHCP
	exchange which is available on the relay device (usually a router),
	but not on the client.  By design, a client simply doesn't do option 82.

	From what you say, it appears to me that you need to communicate some
	property of the client to the server, and that this property is known
	(by configuration) at the client.  I think you should best choose an
	appropriate option from among those that the client con be configured
	to send.

	Without further information about what you are actually trying to
	achieve, and perhaps also about your network topology, it will be
	difficult for anyone on the list to give you advice relevant to
	your circumstances.

	Best regards,
	Niall O'Reilly