How to configure dhclient to send option#82

David Ganor david at oliver-solutions.com
Sun Feb 5 12:11:30 UTC 2012

Hi Niall,
Well, without going into too many details...
1. The system is a control host for a DPoE (DOCSIS Provisioning over EPON)
network:
	a. the DPoE-system is a Linux machine connected to an EPON manager
box, called an OLT.
	b. The OLT manages/controls an EPON optical network, in which each
node is terminated by a remote "MODEM", called an ONU.
	c. The ONU services network devices, such as computers, VOIP phones,
set-top boxes etc. These devices run an IP stack and needs to get an IP
address from a DHCP server.
	d. An ONU doesn't run an IP stack, but is managed via SNMP, through
an agent running on the system.
2. The system runs DHCP clients to get IP addresses for managed entities
(ONUs) and also acts as a DHCP relay, on behalf of non-managed, remote
devices.
3. Whenever a managed entity is connected and the associated SNMP agent
requests an IP address, it should also add option#82-suboption#9 with
enterprise number 4491 (indicating CabelLabs Inc., the owner of the DPoE and
DOCSIS specs)
4. The dhcrelay, as a standalone process, can probably be used for the phase
of getting the IP address, but doing the actual relaying job between 2
interfaces, on separated IP subnets is not feasible:
the DHCP messages from, and to, the non-managed remote devices don't go
through a "regular" (Linux) Ethernet interface - it's a special host-control
interface with a special control application (which we develop...)

I hope this not-so-short-after-all background overview makes my question a
little clearer, so to summarize:
Can I, somehow, run/connect/configure something(s) so that the DHCPDiscover
and DHCPRequest will include this option#82?

I know I can hard-code this option in the dhclient and re-build the
executable, but I would prefer not to...

Thak you for yout time,
David Ganor