dhclient dhcpctl usage

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Mon Jan 9 20:36:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 03:21:37PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 09:26:14PM +0200, Boaz Ben-David wrote:
> > By control I mean requesting the dhcp client to renew a lease,
> > release a lease, knowing that a lease was successfully squires
> > etc...
>
> You can more or less do that with omcmd, omshell, or another dhcpctl-based
> program, which will talk to the ISC DHCP server.
>
> But the dhcpctl API is only for talking to the server, not the client.  If
> you want to mess with the ISC dhclient program, you can try killing the
> running dhclient, edit its lease database (dhclient.leases) to change
> what you want, and restart it.

Actually, you probably want to use "dhclient -r" on the client machine
to release the lease, and just restart dhclient to renew the lease.
Or hack your own dhclient code to do what you want.  Just changing state
on the client side may get the client to do something but not necessarily
change the state on the server.