dhcrelay over wireless mesh

Luca Tavanti luca.tavanti at iet.unipi.it
Wed Jul 11 08:53:25 UTC 2012

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to set up a wireless mesh network in which the IP address
(Ipv4) is assigned to all nodes by a central DHCP server. All nodes are
  in the same IP subnet (say 192.168.10.x). To reach the nodes that are
multiple hops away I've arranged to use dhcrelay.
The relay service is run on every node (except the server) with:

root[/]# dhcrelay -4 -i wlan0 -m forward 192.168.10.1

where wlan0 is the (unique) wireless interface of each node, and
192.168.10.1 is the dhcp server address.

However, till now I've never succeeded in going beyond the second hop.

Therefore I was wondering whether dhcrelay can work in such a scenario,
or whether I'm making some mistake I can't figure out.
I've searched through the documentation and the mailing list, but found
no answer to my doubts...

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Luca