Not able to see lease logs in dhcpd6.leases

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Jun 23 12:00:33 UTC 2012

Hi Gaurav

The config file you posted is not for the ISC dhcp server - none of the
commands specified are valid syntax. So I assume that you either emailed
the wrong file or you are using some other dhcp server that does use that
file. The latter might explain why adding the log-facility statement
caused an error.

In the ISC dhcp server you can check the version by running:

# dhcpd --version
isc-dhcpd-4.2.3

# dhcpd -v
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.3
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
Usage: dhcpd [-p <UDP port #>] [-f] [-d] [-q] [-t|-T]
             [-4|-6] [-cf config-file] [-lf lease-file]
             [-tf trace-output-file]
             [-play trace-input-file]
             [-pf pid-file] [--no-pid] [-s server]
             [if0 [...ifN]]

Unfortunately, there is no Admin Reference Manual for dhcp. The main
documentation is the  man pages: dhcpd(8), dhcrelay(8), dhcpd.conf(5),
dhcp-options(5), dhcp-eval(5), dhclient.conf(5), dhcpd.leases(5). Taken
together this is a decent amount of information, but not really in a
How-To style.

regards,
-glenn