Requests to support only DHCPv6 identity

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Thu Mar 29 12:17:05 UTC 2012

> That said, pointers to gory implementation details (if anyone actually cares
> to share, seems like it's needed though), relevant BCPs, etc. would likely
> help educate everyone facing these challenges.

Maybe a new DHCP Handbook...

> Maybe it's too soon for them to exist.  I'm sure a lot of people had similar
> questions when TCP/IP first replaced NCP.  ;-)  I can Google and find
> answers to anything (too many in fact) IPv4, not quite with IPv6...yet.

That's right, we are just starting to get real operational experience, and finding problems in specifications and implementations, and writing new documents to address these problems.   We are beginning work on a respin of RFC3315 that deals with some of the more glaring operational problems.

> More than objecting to the question, I'd been looking forward to real
> answers to this thread.  FWIW your insight actually helped me a bit, I'm
> hoping there's more.

If you're asking DHCP protocol questions, as opposed to ISC DHCP questions, it would actually help if you would ask on the DHC working group mailing list.