Regarding non broadcast interface in ISC DHCP

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Apr 5 18:05:52 UTC 2013

“ The function which discovers interfaces will now skip non-broadcast or point-to-point interfaces, thanks to a patch from David Brownlee.”

> I want this patch to be added in source code since I am using non broadcast interface in relay side . Because of the unavailability of patch, packet drop happening in dhcrelay application.

I don't think you get what this patch does. I think it just makes the code ignore any non-broadcast interfaces, it will not help you get the relay agent working with a non-broadcast interface as that is a different problem.

AIUI from comments made here in the past by people that understand the code, it needs "significant changes" for the relay agent to work with a non-broadcast interface. Unless someone sponsors the work, then it may not happen for some time as it's just one of many things on the "would like to do" list. It's not that it isn't considered important, just that there are limited development resources available.

The reason for this limitation go back a decade or two - and comes down to assumptions that were probaby not unreasonable at the time about the sort of networks people use. The networks technologies have changed, but to change the software means a major rewrite of some parts of the code.