DHCP Wildcard issue

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Tue Dec 10 18:20:28 UTC 2013

On 10 Dec 2013, at 17:19, Hauck, Jeffrey <hauck at usgs.gov> wrote:

> I have been struggling to get the DHCP MAC address wildcard working.  I have been through a bunch of documentation and forum searches but nothing seems to be the right fix.
>
> Below is the entire dhcpd.conf file.  Any ideas where the issue is?

	[dhcpd.conf not copied from original message]

	The distinction between ‘known’ and ‘unknown’ clients is made by
	the ‘host’ declaration.  Your configuration appears not to have
	any such; consequently, ALL of your clients are ‘unknown’.  In
	addition, some of them no doubt belong the the “vdi” class, and
	so are eligible for either declared pool.

	Which pool a given client ends up in will depend on the client’s
	history (recorded in the leases file) and the (effectively
	accidental) order in which the server visits the pools to
	determine whether the client is eligible.

	I’ve found it necessary to use the ‘deny’ directive to steer
	through circumstances not entirely unlike yours, but
	sufficiently different that I’m not sure how best to fit this
	trick to your needs.  Since the ‘known’/‘unknown’ distinction
	isn’t available in your configuration, it may be sufficient to
	replace 'allow unknown-clients;’ with ‘deny members of "vdi”;’.

	I’m afraid some more struggling is inevitable, but hope this
	will be of some help to you.

	Best regards,

	Niall O’Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services