Classifying clients based on FQDN in option 81

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Wed Feb 27 09:50:56 UTC 2013

On 27 Feb 2013, at 02:24, VithalPrasad Gaitonde wrote:

> Can one configure the ISC DHCP server to define class(es) of clients
> based on the DNS domain sent in option 81 by the client.

	I haven't tried that, but I'ld be surprised if it couldn't be done;
	the man pages for dhcpd.conf and dhcp-eval seem to contain the
	information you need.

	That said, I would ask two more basic questions:

    1.	Can one depend on the client to set option 81?
    2.	Can one trust the client not to spoof a "more attractive" DNS
	domain name than the "legitimate" one?

	Good luck!

> Can you then use this class to set options and specific IP range for such a class of clients.

	Surely.

	IHTH
	Niall O'Reilly