NTP Server Option for DHCPv6 (option 56)

Mironov, Ivan Ivan.Mironov at arrisi.com
Fri Jun 21 15:00:39 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I need to implement handling NTP Server Option for DHCPv6 (option 56) on my machine.
As I understand ISC DHCP doesn't support this option by default.
RFC 5608 says the option itself does not contain any value. Instead, it contains one or several suboptions that carry NTP server or SNTP server location.

So, I've modified my server and client configs.

dhcpd6.conf:
option space ntp code width 2 length width 2;
option ntp.address code 1 = array of ip6-address;
option ntp.fqdn code 3 = text;
option ntp56 code 56 = encapsulate ntp;
option ntp.address <IPv6 address>;
dhclient.conf:
option space ntp code width 2 length width 2;
option ntp.address code 1 = array of ip6-address;
option ntp.fqdn code 3 = text;
option ntp56 code 56 = encapsulate ntp;
request ntp.address;
But it doesn't work. I don't see in tcpdump capture request and reply of option 56.
Is the issue with my invalid configs? Did anybody utilize option 56?

--
Regards,
Ivan