NTP Server Option for DHCPv6 (option 56)

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Fri Jun 21 15:07:26 UTC 2013

On Jun 21, 2013, at 11:00 AM, "Mironov, Ivan" <Ivan.Mironov at arrisi.com> wrote:
> I need to implement handling NTP Server Option for DHCPv6 (option 56) on my machine.
> As I understand ISC DHCP doesn't support this option by default.
> RFC 5608 says the option itself does not contain any value. Instead, it contains one or several suboptions that carry NTP server or SNTP server location.

The specification for this option is badly broken, and it should never have made it out of the IETF review process.   I think you are the first person I've heard of who's tried to use it.   I'm curious: what's the deployment scenario?

For the time being, if this is a relatively custom deployment, I'd recommend just using a site-specific option code and formatting it as an IP address.