query in relay behavior

ameen.shajahan at wipro.com ameen.shajahan at wipro.com
Thu Mar 21 15:55:41 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Please find the below setup of DHCP v4 relay and please let me know the behavior happens in below test cases.

DHCP Server------------------------------------Relay----------------------------------Cisco switch-----------------------------PC
eth0-10.46.185.77                           eth0- 30.30.30.32                                       access port            trunk port
                                                            eth0.1- 30.30.30.31                                       vlan1

Running relay like below use cases.

Use case 1 :
--------------
./dhcrelay -4 -d -i eth0.1 10.46.185.77   During this use case  , I supplied ipconfig /renew from Windows PC . But no message reaches relay .
                                                                            I would like to know why it's happening.

Use case 2 :
./dhcrelay -4 -d -i eth0 10.46.185.77   During this use case  , I supplied ipconfig /renew from Windows PC . Forwarded BOOTRequest message comes in relay .
                                                                         I can able to see some messages.

Why client is not broadcasting message to virtual interface(eth0.1) . Why client looking for real interface(eth0).
Please let me know why it is so.

Thanks,
Ameen

www.wipro.com