is any defferent on option 252 set to null and no option 252

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 01:23:55 UTC 2013

On 13 November 2013 00:26, Julie Xu <xll40 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> currently I have dhcpd.conf and there is option 252 settting as;
>
> option url-252 code 252 = text;
> option url-252 "\n\000";
>
> before I remove both of them, could I ask if there will some deference
> behalve on client site? both windows or apples?

Option 252 is used to provide a proxy server/WPAD URL to Microsoft
Windows clients. The "\n\000" value sends back a null response to
Microsoft Windows so that it stops continually sending DHCPINFORM
requests to try and obtain a proxy server/WPAD URL.

So if you remove it then I would expect to see Microsoft Windows
clients start to send DHCPINFORM requests asking for this option
(unless Microsoft have fixed their DHCP client which I highly doubt).

Steve